Ellen Smith for Oak Ridge - Discussion Archive Forum Index Ellen Smith for Oak Ridge - Discussion Archive

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile      Log inLog in 

Oak Ridge slogans

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ellen Smith for Oak Ridge - Discussion Archive Forum Index -> Oak Ridge Issues and Discussion Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ellen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:57 pm    Post subject: Oak Ridge slogans Reply with quote

Everybody talks about them (I've noticed this talking to people around town), but nobody does anything about them -- city slogans. My home town has only had one slogan for as long as I can remember: "Land of the Sleeping Giant" (the "Sleeping Giant" is a local geographic feature). Meanwhile, Oak Ridge has had more than its fair share. Here are some that I remember:
    "Where Smart Things Happen"
    "Achieving Excellence"
    "The Vision Lives On"
    "Born of War, Living for Peace, Growing through Science"
    "Atomic City"
    "Secret City"
And, of course, there have been parody versions:
    "Where Smart People Make Dumb Decisions"
    "Tunnel Vision Lives On"
I know why we have this problem with slogans -- "Atomic City" is the only slogan that has ever truly stuck, but it's a public relations problem. Confused So people have stayed busy inventing substitutes, none of which ever manage to measure up to the original.

I think the "Secret City" slogan is a cute idea for a tourism promotion, but it rubs a lot of folks the wrong way. We can use it for tourism, but let's not make it an all-purpose civic slogan.

"Where Smart Things Happen" rubs a lot of people the wrong way -- not only does it seem egotistical, but it is way too easy to attack it. Oops

"The Vision Lives On" is a nice sentiment, but it's hardly unique to Oak Ridge, and it requires a lot of explanation and interpretation.

I like the sentiment behind "Born of War, Living for Peace, Growing through Science", but it's way too long to be a good slogan.

I can understand why some of our City staff were attracted to "Achieving Excellence" as a slogan -- it's a nice sort of generic slogan for a workplace. However, it expresses a superior attitude (like "Smart Things"), it leaves no space for improvement (if we have already achieved excellence, what's left?), and there is nothing in it that says "Oak Ridge."

That leaves us back with "Atomic City." Can we live with it, or does someone have a better idea?
Ellen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 12:29 am    Post subject: No slogans on the new entrance signs Reply with quote

The signs at the entrances of town were given a facelift recently, thanks to efforts of the city government, the Chamber of Commerce, and Val-U-Signs.

Chronic critics of Oak Ridge slogans may have noticed that the entrance signs no longer have slogans on them -- they just welcome people to Oak Ridge.

The "Secret City" name seems to have caught on for Oak Ridge tourism promotion, but Chamber officials say that the name causes bad vibes for businesses considering relocation. Meanwhile, area business recruiters are calling the region "Innovation Valley," which probably is appealing to their target clientele but is not exactly designed to excite tourists. Confused Long live the new sloganless signs!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ellen Smith for Oak Ridge - Discussion Archive Forum Index -> Oak Ridge Issues and Discussion Topics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: