Ellen Smith for Oak Ridge - Discussion Archive Forum Index Ellen Smith for Oak Ridge - Discussion Archive

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile      Log inLog in 

June 2005

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ellen Smith for Oak Ridge - Discussion Archive Forum Index -> Ellen's Log
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ellen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:54 am    Post subject: June 2005 Reply with quote

Just 3 days left until Election Day. Although the 1,824 people who voted early probably represent more than one-third of the total turnout for this election, it is important for me to continue campaigning.

Not only do I want to meet people and give information to voters in hopes that they will support me, but I like to think that by talking to more voters, I can help to increase turnout. Smile
Ellen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you all know by now, the election is over. I'm catching up on my sleep deficit, collecting yard signs, and trying to understand the election results. I'm overdue on posting here. Embarassed

Once again, I did not get elected. Congratulations to Willie Golden, Tom Beehan, Jane Miller, and David Mosby on their re-election to City Council. I'd also like to congratulate Dan DiGregorio on his election to School Board, and Jenny Richter and John Smith on their School Board re-elections.

There are some impressive things about the election results. Nearly 71% of the 3,977 people who voted cast a vote for Willie Golden -- that's a tremendous amount of support from the community. Exclamation Similarly, it seems that Dan DiGregorio made a lot of friends and impressed a lot of people in his years as a teacher, coach, and community member, as well as during his campaign -- how else to explain his receiving support from 69.5% of the voters? Smile

Viewed that same way, the 2,218 votes I received represent just under 56% of the voters -- 4 out of 7 people who voted. Exclamation In an election for a single seat, that would be considered a clear majority. However, in a situation where people can vote for several candidates and the several highest vote-getters win, it's mathematically possible for the majority of voters to support a candidate, but for that candidate not to be elected. That's what happened with me in this election, and it also happened to school board candidate Bill Zulliger, who got votes from more than 50.4% of the people who voted. Confused Voters chose to divide their votes among various combinations of candidates, and their lists included other candidates more often than they included the two of us. Across the board, I guess they figured they had a good list of candidates to choose, but had different ideas on which set of choices was best.

I'm happy to continue as a city volunteer -- we have unfinished business on the Environmental Quality Advisory Board, after all. Cool I hope Bill Zulliger will do likewise -- he could make his expertise as a construction manager available to the school board in an advisory role. A person doesn't have to be elected to provide valuable service to city government or the school system. Wink

And it is likely that I will run again in 2 years, when 3 positions will be up for election. Cool-Red

Thanks to everyone who supported me -- please continue your efforts on behalf of our community and its citizens.
Ellen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:17 pm    Post subject: Election results Reply with quote

Here are the final numbers from Tuesday -- still unofficial, as far as I know. Percentages are of the 3,977 people who voted.

City Council

Tom Beehan - 2597 - 65.3%
Willie Golden - 2819 - 70.9%

Martin McBride - 1225 - 30.8%
Jane Miller - 2490 - 62.6%
David Mosby - 2306 - 58.0%

Ellen Smith - 2218 - 55.8%

School Board

Don DiGregorio - 2764 - 69.5%
Charlie Hughey - 657 - 16.5%
Jenny Richter - 2486 - 62.5%
John Smith - 2107 - 53.0%

Bill Zulliger - 2006 - 50.4%

Last edited by Ellen on Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ellen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turnout was disappointing to just about everybody. The early vote turned out to be nearly 46% of the total vote. Surprised

There are many different ideas about why voter turnout was so low. Theories range from widespread satisfaction with the current situation to widespread total disgust with the city and the electoral process (this is something I heard from some people I met on the campaign trail Sad ). I think the truth lies somewhere in between, and that a principal cause of low turnout is a recent general decline in the amount of local news coverage and news analysis in the local media. The Oak Ridge Observer has been working to pick up the slack, but that weekly newspaper does not yet have wide enough distribution to replace the daily coverage that people came to expect. Neutral
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ellen Smith for Oak Ridge - Discussion Archive Forum Index -> Ellen's Log All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: