Ellen Smith for Oak Ridge - Discussion Archive Forum Index Ellen Smith for Oak Ridge - Discussion Archive

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile      Log inLog in 

May 2005

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ellen Smith for Oak Ridge - Discussion Archive Forum Index -> Ellen's Log
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ellen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 4:49 pm    Post subject: May 2005 Reply with quote

I guess I'm having an identity crisis... Sad

Today's Oak Ridger did not run the campaign announcement article that I submitted the other day, but there is an article about the election, and it has my name wrong. Oops

I have been aware that some people thought that Council incumbent Jane Miller and I are the same person. (We aren't.) The article says that the candidates include "Ellen Miller," which basically confirms that situation. Mad I have not changed my name -- I'm still Ellen Smith and I'm still a candidate for City Council.
Ellen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS - Please attend the campaign kick-off event tomorrow. See this post for details.
Ellen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We received a phone call this evening from a person who was clearly a paid phone solicitor, calling on behalf of Tom Beehan's re-election campaign, wanting to know if we'd be supporting Tom for re-election.

If Tom's campaign has sufficient funds for that kind of thing, it seems to me that somebody figures they have a lot of money riding on this election. Shocked
Ellen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

During the past week I enjoyed meeting with many local residents at my campaign kickoff event and at Democracy for East Tennessee's reception for its endorsed candidates. Cool

The election season is heating up now. Yard signs are popping up around town this weekend (city ordinance says they cannot go up until 30 days before the election) and more formal and informal events are scheduled in the coming days.

If you would like a yard sign or campaign literature to share with friends or neighbors (if you've read the material on this website, you probably don't need copies of my literature for your own use Wink ), or if you wish to help in other ways, contact me by phone (483-3068), e-mail (ellen@ellensmith.org), or using the volunteer form or donation form on this website.
Ellen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the past 7 days, I participated in 3 appearance events involving several of the Council candidates. First was the Democracy for East Tennesee "house party" for DFET's endorsed candidates, mentioned above. Next was the monthly meeting of the Oak Ridge Business Roundtable, where all 6 candidates made oral presentations and discussed a couple of current issues. Most recent was the League of Women Voters candidate forum, which all candidates except Beehan participated in.

Thanks to everyone who attended these events. I appreciate the chance to tell you my "story" and views, as well as to get to know you better. Also, although we are competing against each other in the election, I appreciate the fact that these events do help me get to know the other candidates better. The groups that sponsor these events perform a valuable service to the whole community. Smile

Last edited by Ellen on Sat May 14, 2005 1:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ellen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also this week, I was pleased to receive the endorsement of the Oak Ridge Observer newspaper. I'll post the details later.
Ellen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 12:49 am    Post subject: Oak Ridge Observer's endorsement Reply with quote

The Observer endorsed 4 candidates for City Council. I'm on the list. Here's what the editorial says about me:
Quote:
Smith has served on a number of local boards, paying her dues and becoming well-informed about the area, and we feel it's time she's allowed to bring that knowledge to bear. Like Beehan, she also strongly believes in revitalizing the city's older neighborhoods, and not just one neighborhood at t time. Instead, she wants to expand that initiative. Smith also says she wants local decisions to be made with more open, public discussion. We recognize she may be considered "anti-development," but believe she will bring a better balance to City Council, which is heavily pro-business now.

Last edited by Ellen on Sun May 22, 2005 12:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ellen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I continue to enjoy meeting people around town. Especially enjoyable are chance encounters with old friends. I appreciate people who have been willing to host house parties for me, as that's a great way to meet people and talk about issues and challenges facing Oak Ridge city government.

===============

This afternoon I plan to attend another sort of event: a community meeting organized by the Radioactivist Campaign, a Washington-state-based group that conducted some environmental sampling around the Oak Ridge Reservation back in November. They use an unconventional approach in which they collect single samples of biota (plants, road-killed animals, shells, etc.) and analyze them for radioactivity. They plan to present their findings from samples collected around Oak Ridge in a meeting from 1 - 3 p.m in the Oak Ridge Civic Center's Craft Room.

I've read through their data report (which is available on their website). My impression is that the findings generally support and confirm the radiological monitoring (of air, water, and some biological materials such as farm crops) that DOE contractors do on a regular basis. For example, they found radioactive strontium in a plant collected from White Oak Creek, which is known to have carried strontium-90 discharges for the past 60 years (fortunately, Sr-90 releases are now greatly reduced).

I will attend this meeting so that I can be involved in community discussions of the group's report. We should not ignore their findings, but I don't want people to be alarmed by them.
Ellen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 10:29 pm    Post subject: End of the month already!?! Reply with quote

The month is nearly over.Exclamation Where did it go?

I take a lot of pleasure in seeing the effort that people put into their gardens and landscaping. After the hot weather of April (which shortened the dogwood season Sad ), this has been a cool month, so some flowers have stayed in bloom longer than usual. Rhododendrons (especially the pink catawba rhododendrons) have been especially lovely all over Oak Ridge this year, and I think roses are doing particularly well in the cooler weather. Smile

I guess I missed U-pick strawberry season (too busy with campaigning and trying to keep up with normal life Oops), but I've encountered several kids with sticky fingers after "helping" their moms make jam, so I've enjoyed a significant part of the experience. Smile
Ellen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The evening's e-mail leads to some interesting links:
Impressions and photos of the Democracy for East Tennessee candidates forum and an article about DFET's plans to publicize the 4 endorsed candidates.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ellen Smith for Oak Ridge - Discussion Archive Forum Index -> Ellen's Log All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: