Joined: 15 May 2004
Location: Oak Ridge, Tennessee
|Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 6:00 pm Post subject: Oak Ridger article quoting candidates
|Today's Oak Ridger newspaper has an article, City Council candidates share final thoughts, that quotes all of the Council candidates on a variety of topics.
It's good to see that the paper is finally providing this type of coverage. However, readers probably will not be aware that the writer selected only a few "quotable quotes" from among comments the candidates made in brief phone interviews.
A reader might infer that my top priority as a candidate is new revenue. This is not the case; I merely responded to the reporter's question about possible new revenue sources. When asked about the biggest issue facing Council, I replied that the greatest challenge is to revitalize the center city, both for residents and retail.
- My quotations are portions of my answers to questions on "what additional revenue sources would you pursue" and "what qualities would you bring to the Council."
- Martin McBride's quotations were in response to these same two questions.
- Tom Beehan and Jane Miller are quoted on their responses to questions about "the most important issue facing City Council" and the qualities they brings to the office.
- Willie Golden is quoted on his responses to a question on "affordable housing" and that question on qualities.
- David Mosby is quoted in response to a question about encouraging retail and that same question about qualities.