Ellen Smith for Oak Ridge - Discussion Archive Forum Index Ellen Smith for Oak Ridge - Discussion Archive

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile      Log inLog in 

"Ask Inky" tells about our local voting machines

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ellen Smith for Oak Ridge - Discussion Archive Forum Index -> In the News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ellen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 10:56 pm    Post subject: "Ask Inky" tells about our local voting machines Reply with quote

Have you (like me) been concerned to think that we vote on touch-screen machines, which are potentially subject to various kinds of fraud?

Yesterday's Ask Inky column in the Oak Ridger put my mind at ease (mostly, anyway) regarding our voting machines.

Kudos to who ever asked Inky about the local voting machines, to the Oak Ridger for investigating, and to Anderson County election commissioner Jo Ann Garrett for her informative answers. Smile

The news, as provided by Ms. Garrett, is that the electronic machines used in Anderson and Roane counties are not touch screen machines. They are (like touchscreens) a form of "direct recording electronic" machines, but they are relatively unsophisticated pushbutton devices -- not high-tech touchscreen machines. The technology used here has been around for about 20 years. Some sources I found on the internet describe them as an electronic version of the mechanical lever machines we used before.

While I still have some misgivings that these machines probably are more susceptible to high-tech tampering than the older mechanical voting machines were, the article led me to understand that the set-up of these devices is pretty straightforward, so we are not at risk of the kind of sophisticated hanky-panky that is possible with the now-infamous Diebold touchscreen machines. Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ellen Smith for Oak Ridge - Discussion Archive Forum Index -> In the News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: