Ellen Smith for Oak Ridge - Discussion Archive Forum Index Ellen Smith for Oak Ridge - Discussion Archive

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile      Log inLog in 

Issues mentioned in questions at the summer 2004 LWV forums

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ellen Smith for Oak Ridge - Discussion Archive Forum Index -> Oak Ridge Issues and Discussion Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ellen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 9:32 pm    Post subject: Issues mentioned in questions at the summer 2004 LWV forums Reply with quote

I didn't take many notes, but here's my recollection of the issue topics that people asked about at last evening's League of Women Voters' forum:

* Oak Ridge High School reconstruction and sales tax referendum - Look here for my views, or post your own
* Emory Valley Greenway - Look here for comments I posted on this topic
* Contracting by the Industrial Development Board
* The City's contract with the Oak Ridge Chamber of Commerce
* Pine Ridge clearing, leveling, and development - Look at my public record for reports on my public statements about this topic (particularly in 2001)
* Funding for police (vs. funding for backyard garbage pickup)
* Support for low-cost housing construction
* Future of the American Museum of Science and Energy
* Use of land transferred to the city by DOE - Look here for my views on this general topic (and post your own thoughts)
* New senior center - Look here for my views (and post your own ideas)

Last edited by Ellen on Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:09 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as we may not want to hear this politically incorrect thought - subsidies for low cost housing is contrary to solving the financial problems in oak ridge - if we want to increase funding via increasing the tax base - then we should have subsidies for high-cost housing. Mr. Green
Ellen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, “Guest”, but I disagree with your outrageous suggestion. Shocked

I think the point you are making is that the City’s costs for services to a new home (including street maintenance, police and fire, utilities, garbage collection, schools for the kids, etc.) are higher than revenues from that household (I believe this counts property tax, utility bills, sales taxes, the local share of the state’s income tax on dividends, and a few other sources), except for high-priced homes.

That’s apparently true, but that hardly means municipalities should subsidize construction of high-priced homes. The market does a remarkably effective job of building high-priced homes without subsidies. Oops

Traditionally, cities and towns use some of the taxes from industrial and commercial property to help pay for services to residents. This is one of the many reasons why municipalities try to encourage industry and commerce. Another thing the City can and should do is work to reduce the average cost of services by discouraging sprawl and working to maintain and improve the central city. (Think efficiency.) Very Happy

ADDED: I have additional thoughts on this topic (needing to be written up), but that comment needed a response.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ellen Smith for Oak Ridge - Discussion Archive Forum Index -> Oak Ridge Issues and Discussion Topics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: